TERMS AND CONDITIONS
COINS Grand Challenge 2018
- To enter the COINS Grand Challenge, Applicants must be 18 years old or over on 1st September 2017. Applicants must provide proof of age in the form of a passport or photo based driving license.
- Applicants may be of any nationality and citizenship but must be fluent in English. Applications must be submitted in English using the official Application Form.
- Applicants short listed for the Grand Final (the Finalists) must be able to obtain entry into the United States for the purposes of attending the Grand Final, which will take place at JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa, San Antonio, TX. The ultimate Winners of the competitions must be able to obtain entry to the UK or USA respectively depending upon the location of the prize that they receive in relation to the competition. A list of the available prizes appears on the Prizes page on this website. The Finalists will be given an opportunity to indicate prize preferences should they be selected as a Winner or Runner up of any of the Challenges within each competition. The COINS Grand Challenge Team will have sole discretion on the final allocation of prizes.
- Use of a false name or address will result in disqualification.
- No entry fee is required for any of the COINS Grand Challenge competitions.
- Winners are responsible for expenses and arrangements not specifically included in the Challenge prizes, including any necessary travel documents, passports and visas.
- The COINS Grand Challenge prizes are not transferable to another individual; and no cash or other alternatives will be offered.
- In the event of a Challenge prize being unavailable, the COINS Grand Challenge Manager reserves the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- The COINS Grand Challenge is not open to present employees or contractors of Construction Industry Solutions Limited (COINS) or other companies in the COINS group.
- In addition to the prizes discussed above, Construction Industry Solutions (COINS) is offering a special discretionary COINS Investment Prize to one the Open competition finalists for what it considers to be the most promising idea or businesses. The winner of the COINS Software Investment Prize will be offered an investment of up to $150,000 USD (or equivalent per current exchange rates) in their business or to set up a business in order to further their idea. This may involve COINS entering into a commercial agreement with the winner of the COINS Software Investment Prize in order to provide the investment funding. The COINS Investment Prize will be awarded at COINS’ absolute discretion and no correspondence will be entered into. For the avoidance of doubt, the COINS Software Investment Prize could be awarded to any of the Open finalist Applicants including the eventual Winners of any of the Challenges.
- COINS is also offering two COINS Software Innovation Prizes which are special discretionary prizes for what it considers the most promising software-related submissions in the Grand Challenge. The winner will receive a 3-month internship and the runner up a 2-week work experience placement with COINS research and development to further develop their ideas.
- The Undergraduate competition is specifically for people currently studying for a university undergraduate degree. However, undergraduates may also enter the Open competition if they believe their idea can meet the Open competition requirements.
- Applicants can enter more than one Challenge but the maximum number of entries for each Challenge is one entry per person.
- To enter the COINS Grand Challenge, Applicants must complete and submit the official online Application Form.
- The Applicant should receive a confirmation email upon the successful submission of the Application Form. If no confirmation is received within 24 hours of submission of the application, the Applicant is advised to contact the COINS Grand Challenge Manager using the contact page on the web site.
- Incorrectly completed or misleading applications will be disqualified.
- The Winner (s) shall be determined by the panel of Judges. The Judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The COINS Grand Challenge will open and close for submissions as per the timeline on the Grand Challenge home page. The applicable time-zone is GMT. The COINS Grand Challenge Management Committee reserves the right to amend the COINS Grand Challenge start and end date at any time.
- The names of the Finalists’ and the Winners will be posted on the COINS Grand Challenge website after the closing date for applications and the Grand Final respectively. If a Finalist cannot be contacted, or is unable to comply with these terms and conditions, COINS Grand Challenge Management Committee reserves the right to select another Finalist selected by the same Judges.
- This COINS Grand Challenge is being run exclusively by COINS Grand Challenge (operator and the promoter based at COINS Building, 11 St Laurence Way, Slough, SL1 2EA, UK).
- All time limits will be strictly enforced and no exceptions will be made.
- By entering the COINS Grand Challenge, the Applicant agrees to participate in promotional activity as reasonably required by the COINS Grand Challenge Management Committee. This includes but is not limited to the name of the individual along with details of their winning idea and any video footage of the individual captured during the Grand Final event.
- All reasonable travelling and accommodation expenses will be provided to the Grand Finalists in order for them to attend the Grand Final. However, these must be agreed with the COINS Grand Challenge Manager as soon as possible after the Finalists are announced and no later than close of business on Friday 4th May 2018. These travelling expenses will include return flights or train fares as appropriate in Economy or Standard class, airport transfer, and transport costs to San Antonio, Texas, USA from the Winners normal location of residence. Accommodation and food shall be provided on the evening of the Grand Final event and at breakfast the following day. All and any other expenses incurred shall not be included as part of this prize.
- COINS Grand Challenge reserves the right to amend these rules at any time. If COINS Grand Challenge does amend the rules, they will be published on the COINS Grand Challenge website http://coins-grandchallenge.com
- Due to the nature of the competition, we are not able to ask Judges, or the audience at the Grand Final to agree to or sign non-disclosure statements. COINS Grand Challenge Management Committee cannot guarantee that other individuals will not obtain access to electronic or hard copies of their presentation materials but will make every effort to limit their distribution. All presentations are open to the general public, and some presentations may be videotaped.
- Copyrights & Permissions: If an Applicant uses copyrighted materials and/or images from a third-party in their submissions or presentations, they must obtain permission and authorization in advance from the owners to use this material.
- The Laws of England and Wales apply to the COINS Grand Challenge. The Gambling Act (UK) defines and differentiates lotteries, betting (which can include certain prize competitions) and gaming (that is playing a game of chance for a prize). Skill competitions and free prize draws remain outside the Gambling Act, and for the avoidance of doubt, the COINS Grand Challenge is a skill competition, and does not fall within the definition of a lottery, betting or gaming.
Pressing the Enter button will open the 2018 COINS Grand Challenge Application Submission website.